Frequently Asked Questions

What You Need to Know about Rental Cars

Renting a car is a necessity from time to time, but a rental car can create problems. You are more likely to have an accident when driving a rental car because you are using an unfamiliar car or because you are driving in a different area.

Your full coverage auto insurance does cover the vehicles you rent (for repairs if there is an accident), but your auto insurance does NOT extend to the additional administrative fees that the rental agency will charge due to the claim.

Did you know that rental car companies hold you, their customer, responsible for more than just the repair of the vehicle when you have an accident? You need to add Travel Right coverage to your personal automobile policy to cover:
– Loss of Use (the rental value of the car for the time it is out of service for repair)
– Diminished Value (the difference in the rental car’s resale value after repairs from an accident)
– Reasonable Fees (expenses the rental company incurs for processing your claim)

If you add Travel Right coverage to your auto policy, the insurance company will pay for any damage to your rented car regardless of fault just as if the car was owned by you. The policy would be especially important to anyone who frequently rents vehicles for business or travel.

If you have any questions, please call Widener Insurance at 423-926-7151